How we use Cookies

Science block at Royds Hall Community School evacuated as precaution after ammonia alert

Firefighters called to school after chemical 'overheated' in lab cupboard

A school science block was evacuated as a precaution after chemical fears.

Students were cleared from the second floor science block at Royds Hall Community School in Paddock on Friday morning.

A two-litre bottle of ammonia, stored in a sealed cupboard, had overheated and began emitting a strong odour and firefighters were called.

Watch commander Chris Bell, of Huddersfield Fire Station, said staff at the school wanted fire crews there as a precaution while the bottle was opened and the ammonia put into another container.

Three fire engines attended and firefighters had breathing apparatus ready if needed.

The alert, which started just before 10am, was over in about 20 minutes and no-one was injured.

Mr Bell said crews were called as a precaution in case of any risk.

Click here to take you back to more Huddersfield news .

Want to read, watch and hear more? You can download the FREE Examiner Apple App  here , the FREE Examiner Android App  here  or you can view the paper as an e-edition on your Apple, Android or Kindle device by clicking  here

To follow us on Twitter click here

 

What do you think?

What do you think about this story? Have your say by leaving your comments below.

Have your say below
 

Journalists

Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Val Javin
Features Editor
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent