FIREFIGHTERS had to use breathing equipment at a serious fire in Fartown yesterday.
Fire crews from Huddersfield were alerted to the blaze, on South Avenue in Woodhouse, at 8.45pm.
A family of five was being shown around the house by the previous occupiers when the blaze started. All seven people were in the front room when a smoke detector at the bottom of the stairs went off.
Fire crews attended and two firefighters using breathing equipment searched the property.
Crew manager Andy Wood said: "A bedroom had a gas heater in it and it appears some clothes and bedding near it had somehow caught fire.
"The building was smoke logged and the first floor was very badly damaged. It could have been a lot worse.
"Everyone was in the front room and it wasn't until the smoke detector alerted them that anyone knew anything was wrong."