GRAPHIC details of the fatal injuries suffered by the victims of the July 7 bombings have been sent to their relatives.
The postmortem reports, which give information on how their loved ones died, were sent out on behalf of coroner Dr Andrew Reid.
They are said to have arrived through the post without prior warning.
A total of 52 innocent people died in the 2005 attacks – carried out by four suicide bombers from West Yorkshire.
The bombers were led by Mohammed Sidique Khan, of Thornhill, and also included teenager Jermaine Lindsay, who was brought up in Rawthorpe.
A spokeswoman for Dr Reid said a “number of families” had specifically requested to see the reports, but some said they were disgusted to receive the accounts.
The documents were sent out in a package which contained a covering letter advising that the actual report was in an enclosed, separate, sealed envelope.
Graham Foulkes, who lost his son David, 22, a media sales manager, in the Edgware Road blast, said that receiving the document was “gut-wrenching”.
He said: “Two years and four months after he died, to send that out just before Christmas shows such insensitivity it beggars belief. The coroner has demonstrated poor judgement and an insensitive nature that shows he’s not a fit and proper person to carry out the inquests into such a delicate matter.”
He added he was planning to ask the Department of Constitutional Affairs for a new coroner to be appointed.
Dr Reid’s spokeswoman said the coroner had regularly contacted the victims’ families to update them on the inquests, and offered to talk through any evidence.
She said: “A number of the victims’ families have attended St Pancras Coroner’s Court and met with Dr Reid or his officers to review evidence about the cause of death and the immediate circumstances in which the cause of death arose.
“A number of these families have specifically requested to see the postmortem reports. Other families have been requesting the reports since 2005 and others since a recent meeting with the Home Secretary.
“The postmortem reports were only recently made available to the coroner. This is never going to be easy for those who have lost loved ones.”
She said anyone who wanted an explanation of why the reports were sent should contact Dr Reid immediately.
“Dr Reid and the coroner’s officers have always tried to treat all families involved equally and felt they had taken adequate precautions to allow those who had received the information the choice of whether or not they wished to view it,” she added.
Grahame Russell, whose son Philip was killed in the Tavistock Square bus bombing, said he had been aware that the postmortem reports were being released.
He said: “I thought it was done very sensitively. It came in an envelope and had a covering letter that said some of the information may be distressing.
“It was in a sealed envelope within another envelope.”
“We first went to see the coroner in November 2005 and were told we would get it then. There is nothing in there that won’t come out at the inquests.”