A PARROT which saved a man's life when his house caught fire has been made `redundant'.
Firefighters have now fitted a special smoke detection system at Peter Taylor's home in Mirfield.
Peter, who is partially deaf, had a blaze at his former home at Staincliffe in Batley and was saved by Merlin.
Peter, 48, said: "My lad had come to stop over. He got in from a night out and put the chip pan on, then forgot all about it and the pan caught fire.
"I was in an upstairs bedroom and had put Merlin's cage in there.
"I wear hearing aids, but had taken them out when I went to bed.
"Merlin must have sensed the smoke because he jumped out of his open cage and ran up and down my legs to wake me.
"Eventually I realised what was happening and put the fire out. We could have all died had it not been for Merlin."
He added: "I did not even realise the smoke alarm had run out of batteries."
Coincidentally Merlin, a four-year-old African Grey parrot, has learned how to imitate a smoke detector and used to make the noise when Peter was cooking.
Peter is a supervisor for Kirklees Council's cleansing department.
The fire system now installed is designed for the profoundly deaf or hard-of-hearing.
It triggers warnings including strobe lights and vibrating pads under pillows.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Simon Pilling said: "West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service now carries out 56,000 domestic fire safety checks each year, fitting potentially life-saving smoke alarms as necessary, so it is making an enormous contribution to home safety.
"We tailor solutions to particular needs and hearing impairment is one of those.
"Whatever people's circumstances, we want to help."
Since West Yorkshire began its pioneering community fire safety campaigns in the mid 1990s, accidental fire deaths have fallen by 40%.
* Anyone wanting to organise a free home safety check should phone 0800 587 4536.