SMOKE killed a man and his dog as they tried to escape a fire at his Dewsbury house.
An inquest into the death of Richard Starkey, 68, was held in Huddersfield yesterday.
He was found dead at his bungalow in Moorside Place, Dewsbury Moor, last October 3.
The house showed signs of a fire and investigations showed a candle had overturned and set Mr Starkey's bedding alight.
Mr Starkey had been using candles to light his home because he had no electricity.
He had to use a gas camping stove to cook food.
The fire put itself out, but filled the bungalow with smoke.
Pathologist Patricia Gudgeon said Mr Starkey died of smoke inhalation.
She said the amount of smoke was small, but he was susceptible to its effects because he suffered from emphysema.
He had also suffered tuberculosis in the 1960s, but was declared free of the disease in the 1970s.
Mr Starkey had last been seen alive on September 30, walking his dog.
He was found dead in his kitchen by a meter reader.
The man noticed a large number of flies and peered through the kitchen window. He saw Mr Starkey on the floor with his dog.
Dr Gudgeon said it seemed Mr Starkey had died at least 48 hours before he was found.
He still had his doorkeys in his hand. It was thought he was trying to escape, but collapsed after breathing in smoke.
He did not suffer any burns.
Coroner Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict of accidental death.