SCARED mum Zoe Rangeley could not believe it when it turned out she was sharing her home with an unwanted guest - a slithery brown snake.
Since moving into her new home in Highfield Road, Rastrick, three months ago the 27-year-old thought the door on her airing cupboard was faulty as it kept popping open.
But when she finally had a look round she discovered a foot-long snake was keeping warm by her boiler.
The mum-of-one rang 999 and four police officers arrived, but could not remove the reptile.
And Easter staffing arrangements meant help from homes management company Pennine Housing 2000, Calderdale Council and the RSPCA would not be immediate.
Luckily Zoe's brother, Nicholas Rangeley, 23, keeps snakes and was able to help.
He put mice in the cupboard for the snake to eat. He said it was normal for a snake to keep warm after eating.
When he returned the snake was wrapped around piping and he reached in and grabbed the brown rat snake. He is now keeping it.
Zoe said: "We haven't got a clue how it got there. But I'm glad it's gone now.
"I'm sure if I'd have known I was living with a snake I would have been scared to death."
Nicholas said the snake was probably somebody's pet.
He said such snakes could last more than three months without food. They were also non-venomous.