A MOTHER will mark the second anniversary of her son's death with a new plea for action to prevent more tragedies.
Stacey Rodgers is continuing to push for a nationwide safety campaign after seeing her 10-year-old son Dominic die of carbon monoxide poisoning.
And she pleaded today: "Let's make it Dominic's Law."
Stacey wants the Government to introduce legislation making it compulsory for every home to be fitted with a carbon monoxide detector.
Stacey, of Deighton, experienced every parent's worst nightmare. She said goodnight to her young son two years ago tomorrow - but never spoke to him again.
She found him dead in bed, but believes Dominic may have survived if a detector had been fitted in the rented home they shared on Spaines Road, Fartown.
Fumes from a gas boiler in an adjoining house seeped into Dominic's bedroom through a passageway.
The tragic death prompted Stacey to mount a moving campaign to promote awareness of carbon monoxide, which is dubbed The Silent Killer.
It claims about 50 lives in the UK every year.
Stacey has received the backing of Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman, safety groups and Kirklees Council.
But despite all their efforts there has been no cash for a nationwide TV advertising campaign, or detectors.
Stacey said: "I am carrying on the fight.
"I would love to see Dominic's Law introduced, making it compulsory for detectors to be fitted in every home."
Mr Sheerman said: "The number of recent incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning in Huddersfield show that this is a serious issue that we still need to do more to tackle.
"We all agreed there is no simple solution, but we discussed a range of strategies, including a high-profile campaign."
The tragedy wrecked Stacey's life and that of her family and friends. But it also persuaded her to launch a crusade which has thrust her into the national spotlight.
Next week she will feature in a series on carbon monoxide safety on Home FM, the Huddersfield radio station.
She has also appeared in a series of hard-hitting public information films urging people to fit carbon monoxide detectors.
After Dominic's death, Kirklees Council and gas safety officials launched an immediate probe and ordered urgent work to be carried out on hundreds of homes where boilers were fitted in similar situations.
Stacey intends spending tomorrow's anniversary quietly with family.
Dominic was a keen footballer with the Space club in Huddersfield and Stacey had hoped to spread his ashes on the football field where he loved to play.
But she feels unable to do that just yet. She said: "I still feel terribly sad over Dominic every single day.
"The inquest held towards the end of last year was very difficult and it seemed to drain the energy out of me.
"But I am determined to carry on.
"People are starting to take notice. I get stopped in town and in the shops. People tell me I'm doing a good job in Dominic's memory.
"We need detectors in all our homes. Every week we hear of stories about people being overcome by fumes, and some have died.
"It would be wonderful if it was compulsory for house-builders, landlords and councils to fit detectors.
"I have to be strong to push on with the campaign, but people don't see what I'm like behind closed doors.
"It does get to me, but I am determined to go on, for Dominic."