STUDENTS are being warned to be aware of the dangers of the 'silent killer'.
National gas safety watchdog Corgi has also been urging parents to ensure their children are safe from carbon monoxide (CO).
The warning comes after research revealed most students do not know their rights as tenants and have not been provided with any safety information from their landlord.
By law, a landlord must ensure that an Annual Gas Safety Check is carried out by a Corgi-registered installer and that a copy of the check is issued to each tenant within 28 days or to any tenant before they move in.
Without this proof, tenants cannot be certain that gas appliances in their accommodation are safe and aren't leaking lethal emissions of CO.
According to research, 87% of students did not ask their landlord for any proof that gas appliances are safe in their property and 95% were not supplied with any advice on gas safety by their university or college.
Last week Huddersfield University said they went the "extra mile" on educating students on the dangers of CO.
Corgi chief executive officer Mike Thompson said this would be the first time many of the young people had lived away from home.
He added: "The results of the survey highlight the need for universities and landlords to take a more pro-active approach to providing students with the information they need to know to stay safe, but it also pays for parents to be vigilant in ensuring the accommodation their children will be living in will be safe."
For information go to www.corgi-gas-safety.com