UNIVERSITY students are being urged to ensure their rented accommodation meets gas safety regulations.
Over the next few weeks, many students will be moving into private rented accommodation ready to start their second year of university in the autumn.
Many will have lived in university halls for the first year of studies.
The Residential Landlords' Association is urging students not to be naive about gas safety.
The RLA wants students to be aware that faulty gas appliances could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, tasteless gas that can seriously injure or kill anyone who is exposed to it.
Fartown boy Dominic Rodgers was killed in February when the gas seeped into his bedroom.
The 10-year-old's mother, Stacey, has been campaigning for gas safety ever since.
She and the RLA say students should make sure the property they move into has a gas safety inspection carried out on the house by a Corgi-registered professional.
The landlord is legally required to have this done and should be able to produce an inspection certificate.
If it is almost out of date, students should demand another inspection before moving in.
Chris Town, of the RLA, said: "Don't move in until you are shown a gas safety certificate.
"Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the biggest causes of unnatural death in rented properties.
"Don't accept verbal assurance. Gas safety can't be taken for granted."