Three people escaped when a small fire started in their grill.
A father and two children left the property on New Laithe Road at Newsome when they discovered the fire at 9.15am on Saturday morning.
Huddersfield fire crews attended and described the incident as an accident, with something left under the grill catching fire.
The father managed to move the grill outside before firefighters attended. The fire did not spread but there was some smoke damage.
Fire crews checked the house for smoke detectors and gave fire safety advice before leaving.