HE went to sleep a healthy young boy. He never woke up.
But now the tragedy of Dominic Rodgers - and of a Lockwood couple - could be the catalyst for a safer Huddersfield.
The tragic death of 10-year-old Dominic last year and of takeaway owner Kam Shing Lam and his wife, Mary, this month have pushed the carbon monoxide issue into the headlines.
The deadly gas - dubbed "The Silent Killer"- is blamed for up to 50 deaths each year in the UK.
It often strikes without warning and its victims, like Dominic, can die within hours.
Now, the Examiner has teamed up with British Gas to launch a hard-hitting campaign to alert everybody in Huddersfield about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The campaign has today been given wholehearted backing by Stacey Rodgers - the brave mother of Dominic and a woman who has single- handedly tried to change perceptions of the silent killer.
Stacey, now living with family in Deighton, launched her life-saving efforts to prevent further tragedies in the wake of her son's terrible death.
She has spoken to countless people about the happy times she had with her son - nicknamed Dom the Monster by friends many years ago.
But she has also warned them of the despair and feeling of uselessness that followed his death in a bedroom at their home in Spaines Road, Fartown.
It was thought the killer gas came from a boiler flue in a covered passageway between Dominic's home and the house next door.
Stacey said: "He was a boy who knew what he wanted and tended to always get it.
"Everyone knew Dominic. Even the dustmen working in the area would call by. He loved the dustbin lorries and tractors.
"He went to Ashbrow Infants School and hated it at first. But then he grew to love school. He moved up to Christ Church Woodhouse School at Deighton and was always the first in each day."
Stacey said her main aim throughout the past 12 months had been to make people aware of the dangers.
"I never want any mother, any family, to have to go through what I have done," she said.
"When I heard about the couple at Lockwood I felt sick.
"A lot of people still do not know of the dangers, despite all the publicity following Dominic's death.
"I have travelled the country and am amazed that people still think carbon monoxide is only a problem in a tatty bedsit. It can - and does - happen to anyone.
"I applaud the Examiner and Centrica, parent company of British Gas, for launching a campaign. I hope it can make Huddersfield a much safer place."
* Carbon monoxide is an invisible, highly poisonous gas with no taste or smell.
* It is produced by faulty heating appliances.
* It claims up to 50 lives each year in the UK and injures hundreds of people.
* To operate safely, all gas appliances need an adequate supply of fresh air and an unobstructed chimney or flue. Too little air can lead to dangerous quantities of carbon monoxide being emitted.
* Additional peace of mind can be provided with the installation of a Kite-marked British Standard approved carbon monoxide detector, which has an audible alarm.
* Stains, soot or discolouring around a gas fire, water heater or boiler.
* An appliance that burns with a yellow or orange flame instead of a blue one.
* A strange smell when the appliance is on.
* Increased condensation inside windows.
* If these signs are present then stop using the appliance and open doors and windows to ventilate the room. Don't use the appliance again until it has been checked by a Corgi-registered engineer.