SAFETY chiefs have added their voices to a Huddersfield mother's campaign about the danger of carbon monoxide.
Fartown woman Stacey Rodgers launched her campaign after her 10-year-old son, Dominic, died of the gas fumes at their home on Spaines Road in February.
He was poisoned by odourless carbon monoxide, which seeped into his bedroom from a passageway.
Now, the Health and Safety Executive has sounded its own warning.
New leaflets spelling out the dangers are being issued.
The leaflets urge people to get gas appliances checked and to seek urgent medical help if they believe they have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
Patrick Maple, of the HSE, said: "Summer is a good time to get gas appliances checked.
"If maintenance is necessary, it is less inconvenient compared with doing it in the middle of winter," he added.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with flu or tiredness.
The leaflets also tell people how to ensure that their gas installer is registered with the Council for Registered Gas Installers (Corgi).
There are also easy-to- understand diagrams showing the difference between safe and dangerous gas appliances.
The leaflets say carbon monoxide alarms are useful back-up precautions in the home. But they also stress that they must not be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance by a Corgi-registered installer.
The leaflets are in 12 languages.