A NEW study has revealed alarming levels of bacteria in our bins.
But a Huddersfield waste management expert is urging us not to worry.
The widely-reported data released by the University of Tel Aviv suggests that the switch to bi-weekly collection has created a soup of potentially-lethal bacteria outside our houses.
The research says families can be exposed to E. coli, salmonella and even a bacteria that causes the plague.
E. coli in particular multiplies at a rate of up to 600% in the second week and can cause serious illness even if present in the smallest quantities.
The bacteria can lead to gastroenteritis, meningitis and septicaemia. Others can cause chronic, debilitating stomach upsets.
But Mike Hibbert, an environmental health expert who is currently developing a waste management course at Huddersfield University, says there is more to the figures than meets the eye.
He said: “If you have waste in bins or a composter the reason it rots is the activity of microbes and fungi.
“People who have a composter are not routinely keeling over.
“There is no doubt the switch to fortnightly collection was an issue for the industry and it was one that was taken very seriously.
“A detailed study was commissioned and it was undertaken by the Open University on behalf of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management – it showed that the health impact was negligible.
“For the householder the normal activity is to open the bin, drop something in and shut it, which does not stir up the waste.
“If there is an impact, it is far more likely it would be felt by the refuse workers who routinely handle the large volumes of waste, especially when a bin is emptied out.”
The Tel Aviv researchers found that between days seven and 14, a bin contained a rise of 130% in levels of Staph germs which cause skin abscesses, septicaemia and impetigo. During the same period, E. coli bacteria increased by 82%.
Dr Joseph Levin, microbiologist from the University of Tel Aviv, said: “The levels of disease-causing bacteria found in the bins are at a level that I would consider to be dangerous, especially to those with a weakened immune system, such as the elderly or young babies.
“It would be advisable for anyone to treat their bin as a hazard and wash their hands after touching it. If you do not follow this simple precaution, you or your family could become very sick.”
A Kirklees Council spokesman said: “When an area moves from a weekly collection to an alternate week collection we provide each household with a detailed information pack which includes commonly asked questions and answers.
“The question relating to smells provides the following advice: Smells and vermin problems can be avoided by taking care to wrap perishable items such as food waste and nappies before placing them in your bin and by ensuring that your bin lid is closed.”