A MAN clambered down a drainpipe to escape a serious blaze in his bedroom.
The 40-year-old man had woken to find burning ceiling tiles falling on him.
The fire started at the house at Springdale Street in Thornton Lodge at 2.15am.
The victim suffered 15% to 20% burns to his upper body and smoke inhalation.
Station Officer Alvin Crisp, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "It was lucky the drainpipe was there or he would have had to jump from his bedroom window.
"We believe the fire had been burning for some time before he woke up. There were polystyrene tiles on the ceiling and they had melted and dropped down on him."
The bedroom was badly damaged.