IN the early nineteenth century Paddock - Parock or Parrock as it was previously known - was described as a "populous hamlet in the parish of Huddersfield".
This description, however, could have applied to Paddock from the late eighteenth century onwards.
The growth of the village, like many others in Huddersfield and the West Riding of Yorkshire is inseparable from the mechanisation of the textile industry and the Industrial Revolution.
Prior to this Paddock's population was sparse and the area was mainly waste - land which was either uncultivated or unusable - and common land.
During Tudor times (1485 to 1603) records show that a fulling mill existed near the River Colne close to Paddock's southern boundary.
Thereafter Paddock developed gradually and by the early 1700s there were around twenty houses in the village, scattered between Paddock Foot and Paddock Head.
One of these houses belonged to a Mr L Browne who apparently had "a good hous[e] at the North side of Upper End".
A Mr Ainley also had "a very good house" and several cottages which he let out.
The early homes in Paddock were built back-to-back and generally consisted of a room downstairs for living, cooking and eating in, plus one - or for the more fortunate two - rooms upstairs for sleeping.
Some houses were even built on top of each other. One family would occupy the lower two floors and a second the upper two floors.
If a family were involved in handloom weaving they would generally prefer the `top bunk' for light purposes.
The men usually did the weaving, while other family members, including children, prepared the wool.
Long hours, low pay and the employment of children were not products of the Industrial Revolution, contrary to what many people believe.
Adults and children were already working for poverty wages, but in the privacy of their own home rather than more visibly in a mill.
The population of Paddock continued to increase during the 18th century and by the time the textile mills started to arrive in the village - before 1800 - records show there to be approximately a dozen dwellings at Paddock Head and more than double that at Paddock Foot.
From this time on Paddock's population grew rapidly, as people were attracted by employment at the village's numerous mills.
But like many towns and villages in Britain during the Victorian period, Paddock was to suffer a setback.
In 1849, an uninvited and unwanted guest came to town – cholera.
Cholera, an infectious and often fatal disease, is contracted from infected water.
The four outbreaks of cholera in Britain during the nineteenth century killed an estimated 30,000 people and Paddock suffered many deaths.
As well as disease, the residents of Paddock also had to deal with another problem, fire.
Twice in 22 years there was a fire at Gledholt Mills in Paddock. The first, in 1872, needed four fire engines to extinguish it and caused £8,000 worth of damage.
The second, in 1894, caused the roof of the mill to collapse.
Today, although many of the mills have gone, Paddock can still be described as "a populous hamlet".
It has a selection of pubs, a Cricket and Bowling Club and an award-winning Conservative Club.
Paddock even has its own orchestra, which rehearses each Tuesday in the popular village hall.
c. 1500 Records show the existence of a fulling mill in Paddock.
1700 There are around twenty houses in the village.
1829 The Church of All Saints is built.
1849 Cholera arrives in Paddock.
1855 5th January – a meeting of the Paddock Horticultural Floral and Agricultural Society is held at The Angel Inn.
1872 The first of two major fires at Gledholt Mill.
1897 1st September – Paddock Football Club holds its annual meeting at the Commercial Inn.
1915 October – Royds Hall Wood is used as an Open Air War Hospital. It had up to 2,000 beds and from its opening to its closure in October 1918 it accommodated just over 17,000 soldiers.
1922 18th October - The Premier picture palace opens. The Romance of Mary Tudor is the first film shown.
1930 15th December – The Premier cinema is upgraded to sound.
1954 There are 21 cinemas in Huddersfield and the surrounding areas, including The Premier at Paddock.
1958 The Brown Cow Inn closes after nearly 130 years of business. Its licence expired on 13th February and was not renewed; it was considered that there were too many public houses in the area.
1991 The population of Paddock stands at 3,091.
2000 The Paddock Conservative Club wins the Campaign for Real Ale Pub of the Season award.
2001 The census shows that there are 1,476 males and 1,644 females living in Paddock. Of these 55 are aged 85+ and 237 between 0 and 4.