GARDENERS were today urged to take care when burning garden rubbish after a West Yorkshire man suffered flash burns to his back, shoulder and legs.
The man, from Upton near Pontefract, was injured when he used petrol to light waste in his garden.
Divisional Officer Peter McCreesh, of the West Yorkshire Fire Service, said: "People do not always appreciate how dangerous petrol can be, or that it is petrol vapour that actually ignites.
"If you pour petrol from a container out into the open air you will find yourself in a highly flammable atmosphere which, if ignited, will do so with explosive force."
Mr McCreesh said the best advice was to avoid lighting fires in gardens.
Instead, people should create a compost heap or take their waste to the nearest local authority recycling centre.