PARENTS were today warned to be on their guard after sweets that can kill were found on sale in the UK.
The Food Standards Agency said children should not eat mini-cup jelly sweets containing the additive Konjac.
This type of sweet was banned across Europe last year after 18 children worldwide choked to death.
A product called Jellyace Lychee Flavor Konjac has been found in some shops in England - including West Yorkshire - and Wales, and a similar mini-cup sweet called Jellyace Buko Pandan, labelled as containing Konjac, was found at a shop in Oswestry, Shropshire.
The front and back of the Jellyace Lychee Flavor Konjac packet are pictured (left).
The Food Standards Agency said parents should be aware of the potential risk from these sweets and children should not buy or eat them.
Jelly sweets made with Konjac do not dissolve easily and can result in the sweets becoming stuck in a child's throat.
The sale of Jellyace products, which are sold under the brand name Sugarland, is illegal following a European ban on the use of Konjac in jelly confectionery last year.
The only known distributor, Milagrosa, has stopped distributing the products from its warehouse in Leyton, east London.
But the sweets are known to have been distributed to outlets in Leeds, Castleford, London, Swansea, Rhyl, Oswestry, Watford and Epsom.