SAFETY chiefs today stepped up their efforts to discover how a Huddersfield couple died.
Experts from British Gas and the Health and Safety Executive are leading the probe into the double-death tragedy in Lockwood.
Their inquiries centre on a gas fire found in the flat where Mr Kam Shing Lam and his wife Mary Lam died - possibly from carbon monoxide poisoning.
And as investigations continued, there was a heartfelt plea for people to ensure all gas appliances are checked. It came from Stacey Rodgers - the Huddersfield mum whose son Dominic, 10, died of fumes poisoning just a year ago, and was backed by British Gas.
The tragic Lockwood couple, who lived in the flat above the Man Lee Chinese takeaway in Woodhead Road, were found dead last Friday when police forced their way into the home.
Mr Lam, 59, and his 55-year-old wife moved to Huddersfield only a few weeks ago from Keighley, to run the takeaway.
Their deaths prompted a plea from Miss Rodgers, who has spent the past 12 months campaigning for gas safety.
Miss Rodgers, 27, said: "I was shocked to hear the deadly gas could have claimed two more lives in Huddersfield.
"I urge the Government to help raise awareness.
"My heart goes out to the couple's family.
"But people are still not listening.
"There is no way of knowing if carbon monoxide is present.
"People get smoke alarms but you can see smoke so you know it is there.
"We need to urge more people to get the checks done and push the Government to subsidise them so people can afford them or do the checks for free.
"There definitely should be something to make it compulsory otherwise there are going to be more deaths through this."
West Yorkshire Police and the Health and Safety Executive have called on the expertise of the British Gas to help investigate the deaths.
British Gas spokesman Mark Duffell said: "Our carbon monoxide incident team have been asked to undertake a thorough investigation.
"We are now conducting that investigation as quickly and as thoroughly as we can.
"The results will be given to the police and the HSE as soon as we have them and we cannot comment further at this stage."
The Health and Safety Executive said: "There are some issues surrounding the gas fire in the upstairs flat and these are being investigated."