A WOMAN died in a chip- pan fire at Elland today.
The victim, named by relatives as 50-year-old Carol Arthur, was found by a woman relative at her home in Westgate at about 8.20am.
Elland fire crews called to the property found an unattended chip-pan had burned dry, leaving the semi-detached house full of acrid smoke.
Neighbours said Mrs Arthur had been living alone. She has a daughter, who is living away at university.
Mrs Arthur's friends and relatives woke up to the tragic news this morning.
Police cars and fire service vehicles lined the street as officers joined fire crews to piece together exactly what happened.
Neighbours and friends lingered near her home as a team of police stood on the driveway.
The distraught woman relative who found Mrs Arthur did not want to be named.
She said the entire street was in shock, adding: "She was a popular lady. Everybody liked her."
The woman had just returned from a night shift as a care assistant when she called on Mrs Arthur.
But on opening the front door she was met by clouds of smoke.
She then searched the house, fearing the worst.
"I found Carol on a couch and checked for signs of life. I tried to revive her but there was nothing I could do. She died in her sleep."
Relative Michelle Bassinder, whose husband is a nephew of Mrs Arthur, said details of exactly what happened were still unclear.
A tearful Mrs Bassinder said: "We just don't know at this precise moment."
Police, fire crews and coroner's officers remained at the scene to continue their investigations.
Police were also trying to trace all the relatives of Mrs Arthur.
Some family members arrived today after hearing the news and were met and comforted by Mrs Bassinder.
* Huddersfield fire crews were called to a blaze at a house in Miln Road, Birkby, just after 1am today.
Firefighters said a pile of documents left near a gas fire in a living room had caught light.