AN ELDERLY woman successfully tackled a chip pan blaze at her home.
And by the time firefighters arrived she had decided to bin the pan and replace it with a deep fat fryer.
The woman found the pan on fire at her flat in a sheltered housing complex at Stanley Court in Marsh.
She dampened a tea towel and threw it across the pan to smother the flames.
The fire was out by the time Huddersfield firefighters arrived and the cooker was only slightly damaged.
Leading Firefighter Wayne Ogden said: "She told us she had already decided to get rid of the pan - and we were delighted to hear it.
"If only everyone would get rid of their chip pans.
"This lady did everything right and dealt with the fire perfectly.
"She had smothered the flames and turned the cooker off."