A woman and two young children managed to escape unhurt as fire tore through the ground floor of a house in Cleckheaton.

An electrical fault in a fridge caused the blaze in a back to back house in Woodhead Street, on Tuesday night.

A 31-year-old woman and the two youngsters, aged four and six, were in the house when the fire broke out and managed to flee to safety.

Fire crews from Cleckheaton and Dewsbury fought the blaze, which caused smoke damage to much of the property.

READ MORE: Old Kirklees College struck by arson attack-again

The neighbouring house and the adjoining house at the back were evacuated as a precaution, as smoke had entered both properties.

The fire broke out just before 8pm.

The intensity of the blaze led to the fridge melting, which caused the heavy smoke.

Fire crews had to set up special fans in the house to clear the smoke.