A house fire sparked in a bedroom while a lone youngster downstairs carried on oblivious to the developing blaze.

The semi-detached home on Nettleton Road in Mirfield went up in flames just before 5pm.

Smoke was spotted coming from a velux window in the roof of the house by a passer-by.

Firefighters told the Examiner a young male had been found downstairs in the house who was unaware that a severe fire was ongoing in an upstairs bedroom.

Fire at Nettleton Road, Mirfield

He was escorted out of the house and was uninjured in the incident.

Firefighters from Dewsbury and Mirfield then tackled the flames to stop it spreading to adjoining homes.

It is thought the home is owned by a family but most of them were not home at the time.

Watch Commander, Tony Woodhead, of Dewsbury Fire Station

Watch Commander, Tony Woodhead, from Dewsbury fire station: “It was quite a severe fire in the front bedroom.

“We were concerned about it spreading to the neighbouring property.

“We used positive pressure fans to stop the smoke coming through into next door’s building, and stop the heat and the flames.

“Crews quickly went into the building to stop the fire from spreading.”

"Amazing" tale of how hero firefighter tracked down missing man 12 miles from home

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said he had no idea next door was on fire when he was evacuated from his house.

“I got a knock on my front door and bloke said, get out of your house now, your next door neighbour is on fire.

Fire at Nettleton Road, Mirfield


“I could see smoke billowing out of everywhere.”

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went up to the first floor room after a jet was put through the window to put out the flames.

The incident caused some traffic disruption as fire engines blocked up a busy route through the town.

A fire investigation is underway.