Origins: It is believed that Lockwood CC was formed from the local Mechanics Institute team in 1856. This team disappeared when the Lockwood club was formed. Mr Bentley Shaw, owner of Lockwood Brewery, allowed the Lockwood cricket team to play on his land. He was the first vice-president of Lockwood Cricket Club in 1856.
Ground/s: Birk’s Bottom, Lockwood.
Leagues: Huddersfield & District League.
Club History: Lockwood were one of the 10 original sides in the prestigious Huddersfield League. Up until this time, all cricket matches were played as friendly matches.In 1898, a concert took place for the team at the Mechanics Hall in Lockwood. In 1899, a tea party and dance was held for the side at the Mechanics Hall. 250 tickets were sold.Work started on the viaduct at Lockwood in 1846 and was completed on April 20, 1848. The viaduct stands 129ft above the valley at its highest point; it is 469 yards long and has 36 arches. American baseball players joined in hitting balls over the viaduct during the Second World War.Jack Crum, in September 1938, made two terrific throws over the viaduct with a cricket ball. Fifty years after the date Jack went into the record books for his amazing feat.In 1985, students from the University of Huddersfield worked flat out to repair the written-off roller that had been dumped in the nearby river by vandals.
Key People: Charles Hirst was the first recorded player to throw a cricket ball over the viaduct! And Jack Crossland, a Lancashire fast bowler, threw a ball over the viaduct while standing in a barrel in 1874!
Top Trivia: Frank Crow played for Lockwood regularly as an amateur and a professional. His career spanned 34 years. In one season he took an impressive 115 wickets!
Folded: Last match 1985.