Burnley are going back to the Premier League - with Scott Arfield in tow.
The former Town midfielder, who still lives in Huddersfield, has been a central part of Sean Dyche’s Championship promotion-winning side.
The 25-year-old was a summer recruit for the Clarets, who clinched their top-flight place alongside Leicester, Town’s visitors on Saturday, with Monday’s 2-1 Lancashire derby win over Wigan at Turf Moor.
His trans-Pennine switch came after three years at Town, for whom he made 119 appearances and scored nine goals and featured in the 2012 Wembley League I play-off winning side.
This time last year, the likeable former Falkirk and Scotland Under 21 man was facing an uncertain future after being told he wouldn’t get another Town contract.
Arfield had no complaints, admitting: “I would say I never got my chances, but that’s not true. I just never really took them when I got them. I could have done much better.”
“I don’t think there was anything on the table when I first went in, but I did well and bit their hand off when they offered the deal,” added Arfield.
Dyche, whose side finished 11th in the Championship last season, has turned Burnley’s fortunes around on a tight budget, with striker Ashley Barnes, who cost £400,000 from Brighton on January, the only player he has signed who commanded a fee.
Free-scoring duo Danny Ings and Sam Vokes have led the charge to the top flight, where Burnley spent the 2009-10 season, but Arfield has also played his part.
“Sometimes a club just doesn’t fit you,” he said, referring again to his time at Town.
“You can’t put your finger on it, but sometimes you have to leave a club to kick on again.”
Click here for more Huddersfield Town news
Want to read, watch and hear more? You can download the FREE Examiner Apple App here , the FREE Examiner Android App here or you can view the paper as an e-edition on your Apple, Android or Kindle device by clicking here
Want the latest Huddersfield Town news? Follow our Town news Twitter here