Login Register

Town Under 21s suffer penalty shoot-out agony in Premier League Cup semi-final against Hull City

Cruel way to go out in front of 927 fans

Ronan Coughlan in action in the Cup semi-final against Hull City

Huddersfield Town suffered Under 21 Premier League Cup semi-final heartbreak as Hull City won 4-3 on penalties at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Jack Boyle, Rekeil Pyke and Ronan Coughlan put away their spot kicks in the shoot-out, but misses by Duane Holmes, who hit a post, and Regan Booty, who shot over, proved crucial.

It was a cruel way to go out after an entertaining tie watched by 927 failed to produce a goal over 120 minutes.

Town set up in the same 4-2-3-1 formation championed by first-team coach David Wagner.

The side included centre-back William Boyle, currently on loan at League II York City but available for this competition.

Hull had the edge in a competitive and open first period, with Town’s Lloyd Allinson the busier of the two keepers.

He showed good handling throughout the half and made a brave block from Johan Ter-Horst in the sixth minute, then kept a watching brief as a Jarrod Bowen shot whistled into the side-netting in the 26th.

Bowen then put a 31st-minute effort over the bar, shortly before Lewis O’Brien tested Hull stopper Rory Watson with a neat left-foot curler.

Watson had earlier reacted well to parry a close-range effort by Jake Charles, while a long throw from the impressive Duane Holmes led to a bout of head tennis amongst the Hull defenders.

Allinson made another smart save, this time from Will Annan, early in the second half while Town’s Flo Bojaj had a powerful drive blocked.

Greg Olley was twice off target while Harvey Rodgers headed onto the roof of the net from a corner as the visitors continued to press.

Charles’ firm headed from a Holmes corner was blocked before Town made their first change on 57 minutes, replacing O’Brien with Rekeil Pyke.

Danny Kane’s mis-kick let in Bowen, but Allinson was equal to the attempt, then at the other end, Watson tipped away a swerving cross-cum-shot from Holmes before gathering a 20-yard drive by Bojaj then saving Regan Booty’s well-struck free-kick.

Town were benefiting from Pyke’s power and pace, with Hull under sustained pressure for the first time in the tie, and skipper William Boyle headed just over from a Booty corner.

Booty caused panic with a low cross in the 72nd minute, but Jack Senior couldn’t find the target from a narrow angle, then Pyke had a low shot saved on 88 minutes.

Allinson made another solid save nine minutes into extra time, smothering a Bowen shot with Ben Hinchliffe lurking.

Kane touched another Booty corner over the bar early in the second period of extra time before Allinson pawed away a shot by Dan Batty.

Jack Boyle replaced Bojaj in Town’s third and final change.

Town: Allinson, Hanson, Senior, Booty, W Boyle, Kane, D Holmes, Coughlan, O’Brien (Pyke, 57mins), Bojaj (J Boyle, 119), Charles (Spencer, 100). Subs not used: J Boyle, Schofield, Wilkinson.

Football News


Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent