You've probably walked past miles and miles of dry stone wall as you stroll through the beautiful Huddersfield countryside — but do you reckon your could build one?
Emley Show 2015 is hosting the Yorkshire Open Dry Stone Walling Championships, open to seasoned professionals, have-a-go first-timers and even kids!
Competitors will have to strip and rebuild up to 2.5m of dry stone wall, then face judging by master craftmen from the Drystone Walling Association of Great Britain.
Here's a clip from a similar competition in Otley:
Fancy a go? Here's all the info you need:
Who can enter?
There are four classes in the competition — Professional, Amateur, Novice, Have-a-first-go pairs and Junior.
- Class 1: Professional — Anyone who builds dry stone walls for a living, DSWA master craftsmen and Advanced Certificate holders
- Class 2: Amateur — Anyone who derives less that 50 per cent of their earnings from drystone walling, or trainees
- Class 3: Novice — Anyone with some experience of dry stone walling
- Class 4: Have-a-first-go Pairs — neither competitor should have competed in any competition before
- Class 5: Junior — Under 18s
What will I have to do?
Depends on which class you enter:
- Class 1: Competitors will have to strip and rebuild no more than two metres of wall
- Class 2: Competitors will have to strip and rebuild no more than 1.5 metres of wall
- Class 3/5: Competitors will have to strip and rebuild no more than 1.5 metres of wall
- Class 4: Competitors will have to strip and rebuild no more than 2.5 metres of wall as a pair
Walls will be judges on foundations, throughstones, the first and second lifts, coping stones, straightness and tidiness of site.
How do I take part?
Download an entry form from the Emley Show website - entry forms must be submitted by Thursday July 30.
On show day, competitors need to arrive at the main gate by 8.15am, will walling set to begin at 9am.
There's a 30-minute lunch break at 12.30pm, and at around 4.30pm, prizes will be presented to the winners.
Do I need to bring anything?
Competitors will need:
Tools, lines and pins
What can I win?
There are trophies and cash prizes for first, second and third place in each class:
- Professional: 1st place £125; 2nd place £95; 3rd place £70
- Amateur: 1st place £70; 2nd place £50; 3rd place £20
- Novice: 1st place £50; 2nd place £30; 3rd place £20
- Have-a-first-go Pairs: 1st place £50; 2nd place £30; 3rd place £20
- Juniors: 1st place £40; 2nd place £20; 3rd place £10
All competitors will recieve certificates — any anyone who completes their section of the wall but does not win a trophy or prize money will get £5 for finishing.
Any questions? Call Trevor Womack on 0113 2531940 or email email@example.com.