We might not live in America but that doesn't mean we can't take part in the Independence Day celebrations with a feast.
If you love American food it's a great reason to indulge in some of your favourite guilty pleasure dishes.
We've selected some great recipes you can make today for your family and friends to enjoy - including double cheeseburgers, mac 'n' cheese and more.
Butternut squash mac 'n' cheese
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
1 butternut squash
1 tsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp dried sage
100g Asda 50% Less Fat Light Original Soft Cheese
150ml skimmed milk
250g Asda Italian Fresh Egg Macaroni
198g can salt-free sweetcorn, drained
Florets from ½ head broccoli
100g Asda 30% Less Fat Mature British Cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Ask an adult to help with the peeling and chopping. Peel the squash, cut in half and spoon
- Take the squash from the oven, put in a big bowl and mash until smooth. Use a wooden spoon to stir the soft cheese and milk into the mash until it’s creamy. Add the pasta, sweetcorn and broccoli florets to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Put the pasta mixture in the ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Jack Daniel's Double cheese burger
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
4 (140g) beef patties
Freshly ground black pepper
2 burger baps
4 American cheese slices
Thinly sliced jarred pickles
- Set up your BBQ to grill at a high temperature.
- Place the burgers on the grill, sprinkle each with a pinch of salt and black pepper, and close the lid on your BBQ – this will help prevent flare-ups.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes each side and carefully flip 2 minutes after the flip, place a cheese slice on each burger.
- Cook for a further minute, then set aside to rest under loosely tented, foil for a few minutes.
- Slice the baps in half and toast them on the hot grill.
- Leave the burgers to rest for a couple of minutes and build up your burger as follows: bread base, ketchup, burger with cheese, second burger with cheese, pickles, bread lid.
- Serve with fries, American slaw and a Lynchburg lemonade (Lemon lime, 1 ¼ oz Jack Daniel's, 3/4 oz Triple sec, 2 oz Sour mix)
Mustard rubbed brisket with a sweet chili glaze
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4-5 hours
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Colman’s English Mustard Powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp celery salt
2 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried chili flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1.2kg Butcher’s Selection Scottish Beef Brisket
2 bay leaves
4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C Fan/Gas 2.
- To make the rub for the meat, mix together the honey, mustard, garlic and onion powders, celery salt, smoked paprika, chill flakes, oregano and black pepper.
- Rub the mixture over the brisket and transfer to a roasting tray. Add the bay leaves and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 4-5 hrs until the meat is tender and can be pulled apart with a fork.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill to medium. Cook the brisket for 10-15 minutes, brushing with the sweet chili sauce and turning from time to time. Transfer to a carving board, slice and serve immediately.
Baked strawberry cheesecake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 x 227g packs fresh strawberries
200g digestive biscuits
100g unsalted butter
40g flaked almonds
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
½ tsp vanilla essence
150ml soured cream
2 x 200g packs plain soft cheese
50g ground almonds
Sunflower oil for greasing
22cm spring clip cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease the sides and base of the cake tin.
- Break up the biscuits and put into a food processor along with the flaked almonds.
- Process until you have crumbs.
- Melt the butter - add this to the biscuit crumbs and mix well.
- Use to line the base and halfway up the sides of the cake tin.
- Put in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Wash and dry the strawberries.
- Keep 4 back for decoration – remove the green leaves and finely chop the rest.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, soft cheese, sour cream, caster sugar, ground almonds and vanilla essence.
- Gently mix in the chopped strawberries.
- Put the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until just set.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Remove from the tin – decorate with remaining strawberries and serve.