Today, Thursday September 22, is the celebration of hobbits and is said to be the birth of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins - the fictional characters from JRR Tolkien's books The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
In both stories the two characters were born on this date but in different years.
Admittedly it is one of the lesser known dates in the calendar but that doesn't mean you can't celebrate in style.
Get crafty and make some fun hobbit themed feet - plus you can keep them for Halloween next month!
Here's what you will need:
2 A4 sheets of flesh coloured felt
1 sheet of self adhesive felt in white
1 pair of scissors
1 hobbit foot stencil - you can print this one out
1 hair piece
2 paint brushes
All-purpose adhesive glue
1 pair of soft material trainers
4 large pins
4 medium size pins
- Cut out printed template of the hobbit foot.
- Place the template on one sheet of flesh coloured felt and draw around it. Use mugs or cups to hold the stencil in place.
- Reverse the template and place on the second sheet of flesh coloured felt. Repeat process.
- Cut around the shape drawn on the felt. Take a ruler and draw a line from the top of the circle to the base of the foot. Cut through line and cut out circle. Repeat on other foot.
- Now you have the base of your feet.
- Cut out 10 half circles from the self adhesive white felt and stick on toes to look like nails.
- Cut the hair piece in half and stick in the centre of the foot with all-purpose adhesive glue. Use a brush, this stuff is sticky.
- Press down hair to secure in place and brush off excess hair with a clean paint brush.
- Wrap around the top of shoes and use two large pins to attach to the front of each shoe and two medium pins at the back to secure.