Big embrace between David Wagner and Ishmael Miller following the final whistle. Team, manager and player needed that goal.
Full time Huddersfield Town 2-0 Rotherham
Full time! That’s it! The Terriers win 2-0. A first win and first clean sheet at home in the David Wagner era. Job done!
90+2. Low shot scewed wide from the visitors and Jed Steer is happy to watch that back. Close to job done...
Three minutes added
90. Three minutes of stoppage time for Town to negotiate.
87. Good move by Town ends with Paterson’s cross into the arms of Lee Camp. Town have been controlling these last few minutes and backed by North Stand Loyal are looking to hang onto this clean sheet. Barring a couple of dangerous passes around the back four that have had some fans gasping, they are keeping the ball well and looking to release down the wings when they can.
The crowd are loving it and we’ve got a rousing chorus of Wagner’s Barmy Army.
83. Brilliant work from Joe Lolley to evade three tackles right on the edge of the area. Urged to shoot, he does, but it’s way over. Nice work from Joe though and the crowd can now be more generous with this 2-0 lead.
80. Dangerous free kick position for Rotherham after a player trips over Hudson, who was lying on the floor trying to get back up, but the wall does its job twice before Steer falls on the ball.
Referee is coming in for some stick from the Town fans after giving that free kick and then another one deep in Rotherham territory.
77. Change for the visitors as Matt Derbyshire comes on for Richard Smallwood.
76. That’s the closest Rotherham have come tonight as Kirk Broadfoot is denied by the post. Most of the away end thought it was win with defence and Steer scrambling, but the clean sheet is preserved thanks to the woodwork.
Scores when he wants...
75. Ishmael Miller, he scores when he wants! Is the chant from the vocal Town contingent behind Steer’s goal.
It’s his first goal of the season.
GOAL Town!! Miller scores
73. That’s the second goal! Ishmael Miller seizes on a loose ball, runs straight towards the keeper unchallenged and slots into the back of the net!
Huddersfield Town 2-0 Rotherham
Final Town change
71. That is the third and final sub from David Wagner.
Jamie Paterson comes on for Duane Holmes, who comes off to a well-deserved standing ovation. He’s been very good tonight, the youngster.
Signs of life
69. The second half has been nothing to write home about so far but that was a really nice attack from Town, Joe Lolley winning a corner after neat interplay on the right hand side.
I would (and I’m sure you would) feel a lot better with a second goal here. It’s all feeling a little precarious at the moment, even though Rotherham have only had one shot on target.
Crowd doing their bit
64. It’s all a bit flat on the pitch but the crowd ave burst into song, saluting boss David Wagner who continues to be a big hit in these parts.
Jonathan Hogg boots clear and now a Huddersfield throw should allow the hosts to regain some possession and momentum.
Chance for Rotherham
61. There is the warning shot from the visitors while the lead is so slender. Jed Steer makes the save from Ward with his legs to prevent the equalsier - the striker was allowed to step in and get his shot away.
58. Sean Scannell comes off to warm applause from the home faithful - Joe Lolley is the man to replace him.
Wagner not happy
55. Boss is not happy with what he’s seeing since the break. Lots of folded arms rather than applause and he’s just sent the subs out to warm up. It’s not hard to see why - Huddersfield are struggling to hold onto the ball here and are letting Rotherham build some pressure. Balls being hacked out of defence with no attacker really giving chase won’t be making Wagner happy either.
Better stuff needed from Town.
51. Definitely not mirroring the start of the first half this. Both teams struggling to string a meaningful series of passes together. Fans getting a little restless as the ball is passed around without any attacking spark, but the key is concentration during these spells. Don’t want one mistake to cost three points.
Second half under way
46. Peeep! Back to the action here in Yorkshire.
Half time change
Ishmael Miller is on for the second 45 minutes in place of Nahki Wells.
News from around the league
Half time: Huddersfield 1-0 Rotherham
Muzzy Carayol’s sweet, sweet strike is the difference between the two sides at the break. Town haven’t been spectacular, but do deserve their lead and are passing the ball around well. Something to build on in the second period.
45.+1 Good build-up from Town that. Carayol plays in Bunn who gets a low shot away under considerable pressure that gives the keeper something to deal with.
Two minutes to be added
45. Two minutes to be played here as Town look to go into half time leading at the John Smith’s Stadium - for the first time in David Wagner’s reign.
42. Will that force the visitors into being more adventurous?
Lee Frecklington has just taken a very ambitious shot which went some way wide and it’s one of the first genuine efforts the Millers have had on goal. Now they need a goal to get anything out of this game will we see a more open affair?
GOAL TOWN! Carayol scores
31. Pick that one out! Muzzy Carayol picks his spot from 30 yards out and smashes a shot straight into the back of the net. What a goal!
Huddersfield 1-0 Rotherham
29. After a great start, this game has slowed right down and lost a lot of that early pace and thrust. Rotherham have just launched a semi-dangerous attack by Joel Lynch is on hand to tidy up.
25. Stoppage in play for skipper Mark Hudson to receive some treatment and the fans use the opportunity to have a few exchanges with the away contingent to my right. Quick change of shirt and the captain is ready to return to the action.
22. Urged to have a crack by the watching fans from 40 yards, Joel Lynch duly obliges and to be honest isn’t too far away!