A mum of two told of her escape from a terrifying blaze at her home after a chip pan set alight.
Michelle Weston, 26, had been making a late night meal on Wednesday when she accidentally left the chip pan bubbling away on the electric hob.
A fire broke out and Michelle said the first thing she heard was a huge ‘whoosh’ coming through the kitchen door into her lounge where her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter Alicia was asleep.
Michelle, a single mum, said: “Black smoke was coming through the door. I screamed for help and was shouting to my neighbours.
“I rang 999 and told the operator my home was on fire. She told me to calm down which was good as it made me focus.”
She ran upstairs where her 19-month-old son Jake was and brought him downstairs.
Michelle said: “I couldn’t believe it.
“I couldn’t get out of the front door because the key to it was in the back door in the kitchen.”
She picked up the still-sleeping Alicia and bundled her and Jake out of a ground-floor window and waited for fire crews to arrive.
Michelle said: “I have never been so scared in all my life.
“My kids are all I have and they could have died. I just wanted my kids out of this house.
“I don’t know what I would have done if I had lost them.”
Fire crews from Huddersfield and Brighouse were called to the rented, terraced home in Woodhouse Hill, Fartown, at 10pm.
Huddersfield watch commander Andy Blackburn said two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire which severely damaged the cooker and an extractor hob.
No smoke detector had been fitted in the kitchen and firefighters returned to the home yesterday , to advise Michelle on fire prevention.
The family were taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for check-ups but seemed none the worse for their ordeal.