The swimming pool at a popular Huddersfield gym has turned green, customers have claimed.
Total Fitness at Waterloo has closed its pools, saunas and steam room amid problems with what is thought to be an algae infestation.
Members were contacted by text warning them that the facilities were closed until Friday.
The message said: “Unfortunately, due to an incident in the local area we’ve had to close the pools and heat treatment rooms at the Huddersfield Club. We’re hoping to re-open these on Friday but will let you know”.
One member told the Examiner: “The pool is actually green and looks like a pond of algae.
“It’s really bad, as lots of people (me included), were swimming down there last night in the green pool.”
However Total Fitness has confirmed the discolouration was due to tree debris blocking part of the drainage network, and the pool was not and has never been infested with algae.
A spokesperson said: “Part of our drainage network had become blocked due to tree debris causing water to back up. This resulted in the pool pumps temporarily tripping out and the consequent change in appearance of the water.
“At Total Fitness we pride ourselves on the condition of our water and regularly undertake microbiological testing to ensure we maintain the highest level of water quality.
“As a precaution and to ensure the utmost levels of care and safety to our members, we have chosen to keep our pools closed until we are satisfied that the water quality has returned to the level prior to this uncontrollable incident.
“We’d like to thank our members for their patience in this matter and categorically confirm that there is currently or never been any algae infestation at Total Fitness Huddersfield.”
Although algae is harmless to swimmers, its build up will deter people from entering the water.
In 2016 the relatively new pools at Huddersfield Leisure Centre were shut down after a green slimy growth – more commonly seen on old waterways or at the docks – was found in the 25-metre competition pool at the £35m state-of-the-art centre.
An insider told the Examiner that staff at the leisure centre had been battling the build up of the organism for months, and a deep clean failed to get rid of it.