Video Loading
 

A man was last night fighting for his life after he was pulled unconscious from his blazing home.

Firefighters were called to the house in Lower Hall Close, Hightown, Liversedge, after neighbours woke and smelled smoke.

The man, who is 62, had collapsed in a bedroom as flames ripped through his kitchen.

Firefighters searched the house and carried him outside where paramedics arrived seconds later.

It is believed the man’s heart had stopped and firefighters and ambulance crews worked on him for 20 minutes before his heart re-started and he was rushed to hospital.

He was last night in a “critical” condition at Dewsbury District Hospital.

Fire at 20, Lower Hall Close, Liversedge
Fire at Lower Hall Close, Liversedge
 

Two fire engines from Cleckheaton and Batley attended the scene at 11.38pm on Thursday.

Neighbours told firefighters they believed the man was at work but crews used thermal imaging equipment and located him upstairs.

They told brigade control there may be someone trapped and a third fire engine, from Dewsbury, was sent along with paramedics.

Watch commander Damian Cameron, of Cleckheaton Fire Station, said neighbours were woken by their cat jumping on the bed.

They smelled smoke and dialled 999.

“Neighbours thought the man was out at work but we decided to class the fire as persons reported (trapped),” he said.

“That meant a third fire engine was called and an ambulance and that proved to be a good decision.

“The ambulance was there extremely quickly. The man was found in an upstairs bedroom on the floor behind one of the doors.

“We took him outside and fire and ambulance personnel administered CPR.”

Fire at Lower Hall Close, Liversedge
Fire at Lower Hall Close, Liversedge
 

Mr Cameron said it was believed the fire was started by a pan which had been left on the cooker. There was a strong smell of gas.

It is thought the cooker had caught light and set fire to the fridge. The fire had been burning for some time before crews arrived.

The plastic double-glazed windows had melted and the house was filled with choking, black smoke. The kitchen was gutted.

Insp Andy Parr, of Huddersfield CID, said: “This was a tragic accident. The man's family are at his bedside.

“What happened was that a pan caught fire on the hob and the wooden panelling on the wall caught alight too and the kitchen has gone up in flames”.