MORE than a dozen green belt sites are to go under the hammer after the Holme Valley Parish Council announced it was selling some of its surplus land.
The auction of 15 small plots of rural land at Holmfirth estate agents WM Sykes on December 1, including sites at Holme Moss Side, Cartworth Moor and Jackson Bridge, is the culmination of a lengthy land rights project that began more than 30 years ago.
The move comes after the parish council finally cleared up the ownership rights of 26 former 19th century stone quarries across the district.
The exhausted quarries, most of which are less than an acre in size, were a legacy of the 1974 local government revamp and councillors have been working for decades to clarify what they could do with them.
Money raised from the sale can Turned from Page 1
only be used for community projects and must remain separate from the council’s main resources.
Clr Charles Kaye, chairman of the ‘Graveship of Holme’ land charity, the committee managing the land, said they were hoping local land owners would be interested in purchasing the remote sites at the auction next month.
He said: “The committee has been working on all the sites, some of which we have decided to put up for sale quickly. Some of the remaining 13 sites are being kept for the benefit of the Holme Valley. The others are what we’re calling ‘complex sites’ where there are still legal issues to be resolved.
“We don’t expect to raise significant funds from these 13, the main value is from the other sites.”
Clr Kaye confirmed none of the remote sites had planning permission and there was no expectation that any of them would be developed.
He was also not able to clarify when the remaining more valuable sites would be put up for sale but said the committee’s legal advisers were working hard to push the project forward.
The auction will be held on Tuesday December 1 at 7.30pm at The Huntsman Inn, Greenfield Road, above Holmfirth.
1. Land on the south west side of Chapelgate at the junction of White Wells Road and Dean Bridge Lane, Holmfirth, registered at the Land Registry under title number WYK530809.
2. Scholes Youth Club, White Wells Road, Holmfirth, (WYK816254).
3. Land on the south east side of Cliff Road, Holmfirth, (WYK816361).
4. Land on the north side of Cowcliff Hill Road, Holmfirth, (WYK816579).
5. Land on the south west side of Dick Edge Lane, Holmfirth, (WYK570265).
6. Land on the south side of Gate Foot Lane, Gate Foot, Holmfirth, (WYK570304).
7. Land on the north west side of the junction of Hirst Lane and Intake Lane, Holme Valley, (WYK585381).
8. Land on the south side of Sude Hill, New Mill, Holmfirth, registered at the Land Registry under title number WYK816615.
9. Land on the north east side of Huddersfield Road, New Mill, Holmfirth, (WYK816689).
10. Land on the south west side of Sheffield Road and on the east side of Hepworth Road, Jackson Bridge, r (WYK570306).
11. Land on the east side of White Gate Road and on the north west side of Cartworth Moor Road, Holmfirth, (WYK570307).
12. Land on the east side of Wellhouses, Cartworth Bank Road, Holmfirth, (WYK825221).
13. Land lying to the north west of Springs Road, Upperthong, Huddersfield, (WYK816712).
14. Land on the north west side of Cowcliff Hill Road, Hade Edge, Holmfirth, (WYK816723).
15. Land on the south east side of Dean Lane, Holmfirth, (WYK570300).
16. Land on the south west side of Sheffield Road and on the east side of Hepworth Road, Jackson Bridge, (WYK570306).
17. Land lying to the north west of Green Gate Road, Holmfirth, (WYK816748).
18. Land at Dean Head Moss, Holme, Holmfirth, r (WYK816762).
19. Land adjoining Holme School, Meal Hill Road, Holme, (WYK821485).
20. Land on the south side of Meal Hill Road, Holme, Holmfirth, (WYK570302).
21. Land on the south side of Rake Head Road, Holme, (WYK821534).
22. Land on the north west side of Woodhead Road, Holme, (WYK821560).
23. Land on the west side of Knoll Lane, Honley, Holmfirth, (WYK821573).
24. Land on the west side of Wolfstones Road, Holmfirth, r (WYK821600).
25. Child O’ The Edge Quarry, Wolfstones Road, Holmfirth, r (WYK821609).
26. Land lying to the south west of Top O’ Th’bank, Holmfirth, (WYK821616).