I QUOTE: “Fluoride is a known poison if ingested over long period of time, even in small daily doses” (Examiner, February 17).

We are supposed to drink about two litres of water per day; some of us still boil our vegetables and make stews and soups. Instead of slowly poisoning everybody more help and advice should be given about foods which will improve the dental health of the people who need help, not poison the majority who don’t.

The encyclopedia tells us that in parts of India the natural level of fluoride in water is 10 parts per millions causing chronic poisoning, mottled teeth and deforming bones. Is this what we have to look forward to?