FALLOUT from the closure of the George Hotel has begun to emerge.
Several couples who have booked weddings at the venue look set to have their big days ruined.
Golcar couple Juliette Grace, 23, and Ryan Hemingway, 27, said they were devastated at the shock news as they had paid the £2,500 balance for their wedding at The George just before Christmas.
Juliette said her young daughter Evie-Annabelle, four, had been in tears at the news that she may not get to be a flower girl.
She said: “I’m completely in a state of shock, it hasn’t quite sunk in.
“We’ve been working three jobs between us and we got out a loan and decided to pay in full in November.
“I’m heartbroken – we’ve had to do a lot to get this money and if we can’t get it back there’s no wedding.
“We won’t be able to do it now for five or 10 years.”
The mum-of-two said they were also angry that they had not been notified about the hotel’s problems.
She added: “We asked if we needed wedding insurance and they said why bother.
“It’s not just the venue, we will have lost deposits for everything else, which could be as much as £6,000.”
Another bride to be, Suzé Nelson, 25, said she was devastated as her wedding was only a few weeks away.
The tearful Holmfirth woman said: “It’s really upsetting, I’ve had all of Christmas to prepare and get everything finished and visualise how wonderful it was going to be.
“To have it taken away with no warning whatsoever is devastating.
“The most important day of my life looks like it’s going to be in some pub or village hall.
“That’s not what I wanted for my special day.”
Suzé, who was due to marry her fiancé Dan Trim, 27 on March 23, said they had only paid a deposit but said she had spent hours handmaking invitations and had many guests booked into the hotel for their big day.
She added: “It’s still a lot of money to us and we’ve been saving for this for three years.
“We were so close to having it and now it’s ruined.
“I’ve been ringing other venues and everywhere’s full and the Town Hall has no space for a reception.”
Suzé said she was disappointed that hotel managers had not been honest with her.
She said: “The wedding co-ordinator and manager promised me the building was going to get redecorated before Christmas, with new furniture and said ‘We’ve been bought out by this new company’.
“But we kept going back and saw nothing had happened.”
Meanwhile, organisers of a records fair, which has used the George six times a year for the past four years, have revealed they were due to host a fair at the hotel tomorrow.
Bernard McMylor, of Premier Record Fairs, said he knew nothing of the shutdown until a friend saw the story in the Examiner.
He said: “They have not had the courtesy to ring me, which is upsetting.
“Luckily, we had not paid in advance as we always pay on the day.
“It is such a shame because the fairs in Huddersfield have always been so popular.”
Several venues have come forward to offer their services to people who had bookings at The George, including the Old Golf House Hotel at Outlane, and the YMCA at Salendine Nook.