THE latest in a popular series of valley village historical exhibitions opened today.
The Changing Face of Marsden 1800-1950 - Part 3 is now running at the Colne Valley Museum in Golcar until Sunday September 28.
The exhibition, presented by Marsden Local History Group in association with the Workers’ Educational Association, features Transport, People and Places.
Visitors to Colne Valley Museum are in for an historical treat.
Based on the developments in transport across the Standedge Moor, this exhibition travels from packhorse trails to Turnpike roads, through the making of the canal and the introduction of the railway, and features fond memories of the trolley buses.
The exhibition is based on original research by the Marsden Local History Group and WEA, under the guidance of Alan Petford, WEA tutor.
The exhibition covers the famous Pack Horse Road trial to preserve open access to the old road to Lancashire, when the Lord of the Manor tried to close the route, as well as the history of the three Turnpike roads running through the Colne Valley between Huddersfield and Manchester – including the Coach Road built by Blind Jack of Knaresborough.
Visitors will also find out what Marsden village was like years ago — the streets, shops and place-names, and the long-gone ‘characters’ who lived there — when the Colne Valley was the heart of the country’s woollen textile industry.
Colne Valley Museum is open Saturday and Sunday and Bank Holidays from 2 to 5pm. Admission is £1.60 for adults and 80p for children and concessions.
CONTACT: The Colne Valley Museum address is Cliffe Ash, Golcar, Huddersfield, HD7 4PY (Tel 01484-659762) email: email@example.com or go on line at the website: www.colnevalleymuseum.org.uk