IN 1968 it looked like the end of the line for Slaithwaite station.
The Colne Valley village had had a railway station since 1849. Its opening, on the old London and North Western Railway, coincided with that of the first tunnel at Standedge.
The station grew to become a centre of both passenger and commercial freight services.
But after nationalisation in the late Forties, things changed. First to go was the goods yard in 1964 followed four years later by the station itself. The buildings were demolished and the mainline reduced from four lines to two.
Things didn’t look good for the rail travelling public of the valley. But after lobbying and campaigning by local residents, a station was opened complete with new platforms and shelters.
That was 30 years ago and that momentous achievement by one hard-working community will rightly be celebrated this weekend.
There will be birthday celebrations on the station platform, a well-deserved acknowledgement of just what can be done when people pull together. The station, it seems, has plenty of supporters and its Friends should see it securely on for at least another 30 years