THE importance of smoke alarms should never be underestimated.
Put simply, they can save lives when food catches fire, candles burn dangerously or electrical appliances prove to be faulty and spark a fire.
They can also give people time to escape when accidents happen, as it did for a Marsh couple yesterday.
The couple had what firefighters described as “a lucky escape’’ when they were saved by a smoke alarm when a blaze raged through their home. It’s thought a pair of hair straighteners accidentally left switched on had sparked the fire.
It could happen to many people who leave in a rush in a morning and forget to turn everything off.
A smoke alarm can give people vital minutes to escape their home, get to safety and call the fire brigade.
It’s worth checking your smoke detectors every week and devising an escape plan in case the worst ever happens.
The alarms must be sited in the right places with at least one on every level in a house – downstairs, upstairs and attic.
And never ever be tempted to remove their batteries.
That simple action can cost you your life.
Firefighters will be knocking on doors around the Marsh area over the coming days to install out free smoke alarms.
People may already have a smoke alarm, but it’s worth asking the fire crews for advice on the best places to put them.
The crews are there to help you.