This is the moment a man walked through a busy airport with a pipe bomb in his hand luggage.
Nadeem Muhammad, 43, has been found guilty of possession of explosives with intent to endanger life or property after being caught with a pipe bomb in his hand luggage at Manchester Airport .
Manchester Crown Court heard he was planning to board a Ryanair flight to Bergamo, Italy on January 30 when security officers uncovered the device - made from batteries, tape, a marker pen and pins - in the lining of his small green suitcase.
When airport security swabbed the bomb, there was no trace of explosives on the outside and officers did not believe it was a viable device, reports the Manchester Evening News .
Mr Muhammad, who was born in Pakistan but had an Italian passport, was questioned by police but was not arrested - and on February 5 boarded another flight to Italy.
Muhammad was questioned again in Italy after tests showed the bomb was viable. He was again released and allowed to keep his passport.
His home and workplace were raided by police on February 9.
Three days later, on February 12, he flew back to Manchester Airport, where he was arrested.
While in Italy he said he lent the suitcase which the device had been found in to his brother-in-law.
The bag was seized by police from his brother-in-law in March.
The court has heard that experts found the device contained nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose and could have been detonated if wires protruding from it were joined together.
Muhammad, who will be sentenced next month, broke down in tears during his evidence when asked about his wife, who was sitting in the public gallery.
The court heard he had moved to Bury in 2016 and made regular trips to Italy, where he had a business which supplied workers to a factory making alloy wheels.
Following the hearing, Sue Hemming, head of the special crime and counter terrorism division for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “Despite extensive investigation, Nadeem Muhammad’s motive for attempting to take this device onto a plane remains unknown.
“However it is clear that the consequences, had he been successful, could have been disastrous.”
Supt Graeme Openshaw, of Greater Manchester Police's Specialist Operations unit, said: "Based on the overall circumstances of his stop and the information presented at the time, police officers determined that there was not sufficient evidence or suspicion to arrest the man and place restrictions on his movement.
"Following subsequent forensic examination of the device carried out by police, it was determined that it could be viable and the man was arrested at the first opportunity.
"We accept that there were some errors with our assessment of the device on the day and we have already reviewed our practices, however this incident has demonstrated the effectiveness of the airport security checks where the item was successfully detected and the passenger intercepted."
Sgt Openshaw said it was unclear what damage would have been done if the bomb had been detonated once Muhammad was on board the Boeing 737.
He added: "Immediately following the incident, we have reviewed the way we respond to suspicious items found during the security process and a number of changes have been made.
"The enhanced protocols have been successfully tested on a number of occasions in the last few months."
A Manchester Airport spokesman said: “We take security seriously at Manchester Airport, and we continue to work closely with the police and other agencies to provide passengers with a safe and secure environment.
"We are proud of the work that our teams do to ensure the safety and security of passengers. In this instance, the actions of our security team led to the detection of a suspicious device.
“Following its detection our team handed the passenger and the device over to the police to investigate further. These actions prevented a potentially dangerous item from being taken on board an aircraft and, ultimately, to a successful prosecution.”
Muhammad will be sentenced on August 23.