An elderly couple were taken to hospital after a fire at their Crosland Moor home.
The man, aged 87, and woman, aged 85, were treated for smoke inhalation and shock after the 1am blaze on Friday.
Huddersfield firefighter Chris Bell, of White Watch, and his team were called out to the fire at Frederick Street.
He said: “They had decided to make a cup of tea on the hob, but earlier in the day they had made chips in a deep fat fryer, which they’d cleaned out and left on the hob.
“The wire of the deep fat fryer was caught by the flame from the hob, which caused a fire and made a mess of their kitchen.
“The cooker area was destroyed and there was quite a bit of smoke.”
The 87-year-old man had tried to attend to the fire himself while they waited for firefighters, but he suffered smoke inhalation.
Huddersfield fire crews gave him oxygen therapy and paramedics took him and his wife to hospital as a precaution.
Mr Bell added: “The only advice we can give is never to leave anything close or on a hob.
“A lot of people have electric hobs these days, but the same applies to those as even a tea towel left near can cause a fire.”