Firefighters have warned of the dangers of using candles following a fire at a house in Huddersfield.
Fire crews from Huddersfield fire station were called out at 4pm today (Tues) to reports of a bedroom fire at a house in Woodhouse Hill, Fartown.
Watch commander Jimmy Fitt said a tealight left on a plastic storage unit had melted the plastic and set fire to carpet and a wardrobe.
A 65-year-old woman was treated by firefighters and paramedics for smoke inhalation. She did not need hospital treatment.
Watch Commander Fitt said the woman had thrown a bucket of water over the candle, but had phoned the fire service asking for them to make sure the fire was out.
He said: “We investigated it and made sure the fire was out. There was smoke damage to the room and fire damage to the unit, the carpet and a wardrobe.
“Instead of being in a holder, the tealight was placed directly on top of the plastic. We would advise people always to use a solid holder.”