Just because petrol is kept in containers away from fire hazards, it doesn’t mean it’s safe.
That’s the message from West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, which has released this startling footage of a man’s shed exploding due to petrol fumes igniting.
The resident – who does not want his location disclosed – caught the moment the garden shed was blown apart on CCTV.
It happened when petrol leaked from either a container or garden machinery, and fire investigators believe the vapours were ignited by a faulty fluorescent light.
The remaining fuel caught fire and exploded, causing a blaze which engulfed the remains of the building.
Investigator Jamie Lister said: “In light of what could have been a potentially devastating incident, WYFRS would like to reiterate the safety considerations around storage and use of petrol in homes and gardens.
“Petrol produces a vapour which is extremely flammable and must be treated with utmost care. To create a potentially explosive atmosphere there only needs to be a small amount of petrol vapour present, as little as 1.4%.”
Precautions to take include only using approved containers with correctly fitting lids, and storing them in well-ventilated areas away from living accommodation and sunlight.
The fire service also said funnels should be used to pour petrol.