THE DUKES said "Farewell" with flowers.
Soldiers from the Duke of Wellington's Regiment were in Huddersfield to hand out white roses as the regiment merged with two others to form the new Yorkshire Regiment.
The Dukes, with a proud 300-year history, are retaining their name, forming the 3rd Battalion of the new regiment.
It was a proud moment yesterday for Lance Cpl Taniela Delaidriti.
He was back in his home town in full dress uniform to mark the event.
Lance Cpl Delaidriti lives at Crosland Moor with girlfriend Joanne Brennan and their four-year-old girl, Janade.
Born in Fiji, he said; "It is a proud day for the Dukes.
"I hope the new regiment has a long future ahead of it. I am sure the new Yorkshire Regiment will do very well."
* There are 2,300 soldiers - three regular battalions of 600 and a TA battalion of 500.
* The regimental motto is "Fortune Favours the Brave".
* The cap badge combines all three regiments' badges; the white rose of York, the Lion Rampant and the Brunswick green background.
* The 3rd Battalion (Duke of Wellington's) will be based at Warminster.
* The 4th Battalion (Territorial Army) will retain a base in Huddersfield.
* The combined regiment has 280 battle honours ranging from Namur 1695 to Iraq 2003.
* Forty-one past soldiers have been awarded the Victoria Cross.