It was an unusual phone call to say the least – a wanted man phoning a newspaper to give his side to a breaking news story.

The caller claimed to be the man on the run after police say he threatened them with a knife in Milnsbridge... and although he refused to give his name what he had to say tied up with what we already knew about the drama.

And he is adamant he won’t hand himself in to police.

The incident had unfolded late on Friday night in Rufford Road, Milnsbridge, when police say they sought a potentially dangerous 37-year-old man who was wanted on recall to prison.

The Rufford Road area of Milnsbridge where a man fled police after allegedly threatening them with a knife

But they said: “The man within the property has made threats towards attending officers and made off from the scene armed with a knife.”

The police helicopter swooped low over the area in a bid to find him but he had vanished so the manhunt is continuing.

READ MORE: Hunt for knifeman after officers threatened in Huddersfield

Police have not released his name or given any details of his sentence.

But the man who phoned us says he has served a long stretch in prison for robbery and was freed in January last year.

He denied he had threatened anyone with a knife and said he had “no intention of going back to prison or giving himself up.”

He insisted he had not infringed the terms of his licence by getting involved in a relationship and complained about police and government harassment.

Examiner reporter Robert Sutcliffe speaks to alleged knifeman
Examiner reporter Robert Sutcliffe speaks to alleged knifeman

He said he had spoken to a lawyer and he said on Monday he was going to try to talk to Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman and possibly even Home Secretary Theresa May.

The Examiner him we were recording the conversation and would be posting some of it online and in Monday’s paper and he made no objection.

He said he had been out of prison for 18 months and “had kept my head down. I work.”

Det Insp Ian Mottershaw of Kirklees CID said the hunt for the man is still ongoing but revealed the wanted man had phoned Huddersfield police station several times since the events of Friday night.