An Almondbury resident was left devastated after his home was gutted by a blaze thought to have been started by an electrical item.

The terraced property on Almondbury Bank was swallowed by an inferno on Saturday afternoon.

Fire crews said the owner, a man living alone, did not discover the fire until he returned to his home after popping out.

The property is now said to be “totally destroyed”.

Crew Commander Lee Burrows, who attended the scene at 12.30pm on Saturday, said: “Basically the house is ruined.

“Luckily the resident is safe due to being out at the time. He noticed the smoke when he returned home.

“The house was pretty much gutted due to the fire and smoke damaging everything inside.”

READ MORE: Teenager stabbed in Greenhead Park attack

READ MORE: Spectator badly hurt at Upper Hopton chasing cricket ball

West Yorkshire Fire crews suspect the blaze was ignited by an electrical item, possibly a computer, overheating in the living room area of the house.

“The man was very shaken up, understandably”, Lee added.

Fire at house in Almondbury Bank

“But physically he is okay and did not need medical attendance. Just a cup of hot sweet tea.”

He continued: “Crews managed to deal with the fire within 20 to 30 minutes of arriving due to it only being a small property.

“The downstairs area was very heavily destroyed by the fire, with bad damage to the stairwell and first floor caused mainly by the intense heat and smoke.”

The man is currently thought to be staying in temporary accommodation.