A FORMER Kirklees councillor died from an industrial disease, a Huddersfield inquest heard yesterday.
Barrie Metcalfe, who had 12 years' service on the council, died in Huddersfield Royal Infirmary last November 24.
The inquest heard that Mr Metcalfe, who was 66, died from a mesothelioma tumour, which in most cases is caused by breathing in asbestos fibres.
Mr Metcalfe, of Malvern Rise, Primrose Hill, had a history of exposure to asbestos.
He was a retired chemical process worker and long-serving shop steward at the former ICI works on Leeds Road in Huddersfield.
In that post he was prominent as a representative on health and safety, environmental issues and pensions.
He was a Labour councillor for Newsome until losing his seat in 1998.
He was also the council's planning committee chairman.
Kirklees coroner Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict of death from an industrial disease.
He said that although no asbestos particles had been found in Mr Metcalfe's lungs it was clear he had been exposed to it in the workplace.