A HUDDERSFIELD woman died of a lung disease caused by breathing in asbestos - despite having never been in contact with the substance.
Beverley Anne Stow, of South Avenue, Cowlersley, died on December 6, 2003.
Mrs Stow, 50, died of a malignant mesothelioma - a tumour around the lungs which is caused by breathing in asbestos fibres.
Deputy Coroner Mark Hinchcliffe recorded a verdict of death from industrial disease at an inquest in Huddersfield yesterday, but he said it remained a mystery.
In 1995, Mrs Stow went to the doctor with a bad cough and breathing problems.
By December 2002, after a series of tests, malignant mesothelioma was diagnosed and she underwent chemotherapy in 2003.
However, she suffered complications, her health deteriorated and she died on December 6 that year.
A post mortem confirmed that she died of malignant mesothelioma.
Before her death, Mrs Stow had made a statement which said she had not worked with asbestos at any time.
She said her only possible contact with the substance may have been in a factory during the 1970s.
She said it could have had an asbestos roof and pipe lagging and the atmosphere was very dusty.
The deputy coroner said: "It is something of a mystery as to how Mrs Stow came into contact with asbestos.
"None of her occupations on the face of it would bring her into contact with that substance.
"This hardly ever occurs otherwise than as a consequence of exposure to asbestos. This rarely happens except in an industrial context."