West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) has had eight incidents involving e-cigarettes this year – and 13 since the first related incident was recorded by us in August 2013.
The main problem is the rechargeable batteries exploding while on charge due to people using incorrect chargers with the device. Battery capacities and charging voltages vary according to manufacturer so it is not a case of any one will do
Fires have also been caused by counterfeit products – many counterfeit batteries and chargers do not have any overcurrent protection which can lead to the battery overheating while on charge.
When a battery overheats it can, and frequently does, explode causing red hot material to be ejected into a room.
This burning material can travel up to two or three metres and can cause a fire to develop if it lands on anything combustible.
Fire Investigation Officer, Sean Fearon said: “We are not attempting to ban e-cigarettes.
“Consumers have a right to expect that electrical products brought into the home are safe to use and do not create a potential fire hazard.
“However it’s important to note the majority of fires we have seen have been caused by the use of inappropriate chargers.”