A MAN put some sausages under his grill – then went shopping.
While he was out the grill caught fire and the flames swept through his kitchen and living room at the end terraced house in Halifax Road, Birchencliffe, near the Grey Horse pub.
Neighbours spotted the fire and alerted Huddersfield firefighters at 10pm last night.
They quickly brought the blaze under control, but the entire downstairs of the one-bedroomed home was badly damaged.
Crew manager Mark Hurd said: “The man told us he had put the sausages on and then gone to do some more shopping at a nearby petrol station.
“Clearly never leave anything cooking and go out of the house. We also discovered that the smoke detector was not working.
“The man had been packing up ready to move out as everything was in boxes downstairs and all his belongings were then destroyed by the fire.’’