BUSINESSES in the centre of Brighouse lost power during the night after an underground junction box caught fire.
Brighouse firefighters were alerted at 11pm last night after people spotted smoke at Commercial Street which runs through the centre of the town.
When they arrived they were met with a wall of black smoke.
Watch Manager Andy Medlock said: "We could also hear a lot of cracking, popping and buzzing and so immediately knew we were dealing with a fire involving electricity."
An underground junction box had caught fire at the junction of Commercial Street and Park Street.
Electricity engineers were immediately alerted along with the police to seal the road off.
Watch Manager Medlock added: "The fire had caused intense heat which had actually lifted a manhole cover.
"Once the engineers discovered which electricity substation was involved they shut off the power to the junction box.
"We were then able to douse it with water using a fine spray to cool it down."
A spokeswoman for Yorkshire Electricity Distribution Limited said engineers had worked through the night and all the power was restored by 6.45am.
She said more than 70 customers had been affected by the problem.
Engineers were calling this morning to see two customers who said their power was still off.